U-16 at Dallas Cup

One Day. Three Games. Nine Points.

The TFC Academy had an undefeated day on Sunday as all three teams down in Dallas walked away with all three points.

The day started with the TFC Academy U-16 (2002) team taking on Southampton Pro Academy in their Dallas Cup opener at MoneyGram Park.

The Reds opened the scoring in the 10th minute as Julian Accettola received the ball in the box and did well to turn the defender and finish.

Just before the halftime whistle, Accettola scored again as he took advantage of a Southampton mistake and finished to record his first-half brace.

Both teams in the second half played well on the defensive side of the ball. The TFC backline of Elaeis Himaras, Rohan Goulbourne, Denilson Clamp, Ife Adenuga, and Sebastion Nuzzo along with substitutes Ola Ogunnote and Giancarlo Vaccaro played well in keeping the clean sheet.

The U-16s are back in action tomorrow at 1:00 PM ET as they take on CZ Elite from California.

After the game, the U-16s participated in the Welcome World ceremony at the Cotton Bowl. 

Next up at Richland College was Toronto FC III taking on Higashi Fukuoka from Japan in their Dallas Cup Super Group opener. The first 30 minutes of the match was uneventful as both teams were feeling each other out.

The Reds found the opener courtesy of Luca Petrasso who took the ball at the top of the 18, and first time curled one in off the far post past the Higashi keeper.

The second half started a little quicker as Shaan Hundal tapped home the Reds second goal just a minute into the half. Jordan Faria played a perfectly timed cross for Hundal to pick up the assist.

Faria got on the scoresheet himself later in the half as he finished off a Reds attacking phase. Higashi got two late goals in injury time to make it interesting but the Reds held on for the 3-2 opening victory.

TFC III will take on Manchester United in a huge clash on Monday afternoon. The English giants drew their first match of the tournament against Tigres 2-2. Kickoff is set for 3:00 PM ET at MoneyGram Park.

The final match of the day took place a little north of Dallas in Frisco as the TFC Academy U-17 (2001) team continued their GA Cup campaign with a crucial group stage match against D.C. United.

The Reds were looking to bounce back from their opening day defeat to Eintracht Frankfurt. Theo Corbeanu broke the deadlock early as he fired home the Reds first goal of the tournament.

Keeper Spencer King and the backline consisting of Themi Antonoglou, Sal Mazzaferro, Brayden Borutskie, and Tysen Phillips, along with substitute Elijah Le contained a persistent United attack.

Lucas Areco came within inches of doubling the Reds lead as his attempted free-kick struck the bar and the second effort was stopped by the United keeper.

Just before the final whistle, Corbeanu found that second goal as he slipped in behind and slotted home his second of the match.

The U-17s return to action on Monday as they take on Argentine side River Plate in their third and final group stage match. You can watch the game live at 7:15 ET on the Toronto FC twitter page.