The magic number is now one.
No, Toronto FC didn’t clinch a playoff berth on Saturday but they moved closer after eliminating the Philadelphia Union from contention with a 3-1 win at BMO Field.
The Reds needed Orlando to drop points, but a late goal from defender Seb Hines off a scrambled corner kick secured a 2-1 win for the Lions over Montreal on Saturday night.
That was really the only result that didn’t go TFC’s way this weekend. Following the completion of Week 31 the Reds are within striking distance of second place and a first round bye in the playoffs.
Here are the matchups to keep an eye out for during Toronto’s final bye week of the season.
Oct 7 - New York Red Bulls vs. Montreal Impact, 7:30 PM ET (MLS Live)
Oct 10 - Colorado Rapids vs. Montreal Impact, 6:00 PM ET (MLS Live)
- It's a light week with the league, aside from Colorado and Montreal, taking a break this weekend to honour the FIFA international window.
- Toronto can clinch a playoff spot next week with a draw against the New York Red Bulls (TICKETS) at BMO Field.
- An Orlando loss on Saturday would've settled the top six in the Eastern Confernce, with positioning in the standinsgs the only thing to figure out.
- MLSSoccer.com's Matt Doyle wrote about the Reds finding their form following Saturday's win over Philadelphia.
- Lil B's cooking hand signal has taken Toronto by storm this Summer. The rapper sent his love to TFC and the Jays following Sebastian Giovinco's tribute on Saturday.