Toronto FC Academy

Academy Through To Quarterfinals

After winning their first two games, the TFC team found themselves trailing for the first time in the tournament when Malibu scored a 23rd minute goal past Academy keeper Angelo Cavaluzzo for the 1-0 lead. TFC nearly leveled the game in 43rd minute when a header was cleared off the line by the opposition defender to maintain Malibu’s advantage heading into half time.

After the break, Toronto came out a showed a fighting spirit and quicker tempo, certainly two aspects of their game that were not present in their first half of play. Second half substitute Allando Matheson immediately began to show how influential he can be and in the 75th minute he struck the post from eight yards out.

Soon after, Jordan Murrell met a corner kick and headed home for the tying goal. In the 80th minute Matheson turned provider and delivered a delightful cutback to Brennan McNicoll who failed to direct his shot on target. The game turned once again when Malibu played a long ball over the top and forced the TFC keeper into an uncomfortable situation. He was sent off for a professional foul as he stopped the striker from a clear goal scoring opportunity.

Despite being a man down, TFC continued to push forward in search of a winner which nearly came when Matheson set up Dino Gardiner for a strike from just outside the box which beat the goalkeeper but bounced off the post.

The game finished 1-1 which leaves TFC Academy undefeated after three matches. TFC Academy will be the wildcard team in the quarter finals by virtue of topping the group. Quarter final matches are scheduled for Friday, April 2nd at Pizza Hut Park.

"Today was certainly a tale of two halves,” said TFC Academy coach Jason Bent. “In the first half we failed to bring the energy and tempo that has become a staple of our play. Tactically we made some changes at half time and the boys came out with a renewed determination and played the second half with much more urgency and purpose.”

“In the end I learned some more things about the team and individuals so it was definitely a useful exercise. By reaching the quarter finals we have achieved our first objective and now our desire is to push on from here one game at a time and hopefully win the tournament," he explained.