Toronto FC is on the cusp of setting a number of records in 2015. More importantly, the club is on course to make the playoffs for the first time in club history.
The Reds have been powered by their two major offseason acquisitions. Sebastian Giovinco has already broken the club record for goals in a season. He scored the club’s first hat-trick in regular season play against New York City FC and did it again against Orlando at BMO Field this August.
Jozy Altidore has scored 10 goals in 20 games, good for second on the team behind Giovinco, who has 17 tallies on the season. Altidore's scoring clip has been phenomenal. He's scored 10 times on only 28 shots.
The attacking duo has been as good as advertised, but they’ve gotten big time support from their teammates. Consider the previous high for TFC assists in a season was six. Giovinco, Michael Bradley and Benoit Cheyrou have passed or tied that mark. Jonathan Osorio has five assists and is playing his best football of the season.
Some other interesting notes as we head into the fall include:
- The team has broken the record for away goals in a season. They have three road matches remaining.
- Giovinco and Altidore became the first TFC duo to score 10 goals or more.
- Toronto FC currently has seven home wins, one away from tying 2009 record.
- Toronto FC is currently tied for road wins in a single season (four). One away from breaking 2014 record.
- Toronto FC’s victory on August 29 vs Montreal tied the club record for 11 wins in a season. One away from breaking 2014 record.
- With 44 goals Toronto FC has tied a club record for most goals in a season.
- Toronto FC currently have 37 points and is four points away from tying the 2014 record of (41).
TFC heads to Seattle for a tough test against the Sounders at CenturyLink Field this Saturday. Watch the game on TSN 2 at 10 PM ET.