Midway through the 2015 season Toronto FC Academy introduced it’s Education Department. Leading the Education Department is Sue McMillan, the Academy's Manager of Education.
The education department aims to monitor, support and provide guidance to TFC Academy student- athletes in order to achieve their full academic potential. It is also to ensure all Academy athletes have individual pathways that provide opportunity in post-secondary education and/or professional soccer.
Academic and Guidance Support
- Gather player academic information at schooling report time to oversee that educational progress is not being compromised due to demand of athlete’s training
- Facilitate tutoring sessions, when specific need is identified
- Classroom available for homework – Education Manager on site 2 – 3 days a week
- SAT Preparation
- Oversee High School Course selection is appropriate for student/athlete’s level of ability and meets required eligibility or pre-requisites for desired/identified pathway:
- High School Graduate
- Post – Secondary Pathways – NCAA/CIS/College
- Parent/Player Education Sessions
- Liaison with satellite Specialized High Performance Athletic schools in surrounding school boards that provide the educational support required by our elite athletes
- For those student/athletes unable to attend a HPA high school, liaison with athlete’s high school guidance department to advocate for student- athlete and the academic/timetabling support which is required due to demands of training, absences from school, etc.